Sunday, April 10, 2022

PLAYING IN THE SUN – IMTX 70.3 RACE REPORT

 

This race was a last minute decision, and even as I registered, I wasn’t sure my body would be up for the task.  The last race I did was the Odyssey SwimRun in Austin in 2020, and I was signed up to do it again with my badass friends in 2021, but I unfortunately had to pull out due to injury.  That race in 2020 was incredible, and I had so much fun partnering up with my fierce friend Kris, who had done quite a few other hardcore SwimRun events, so my goal for race day was to not be the weakest link, haha!  I loved the challenging training my coach threw at me leading up to that day, and the challenging day itself.  Icing on the cake (pun intended, that chocolate cake was amazeballs) was that I got to celebrate my birthday smashing myself out on the race course with my besties.  Wish I had blogged that play by play, I love writing, it’s so cathartic, just sometimes struggle to find the right words in certain seasons of life.  So alas, those words never hit the pages, kept chasing that forward momentum, had some of the best virtual runs I’ve had in years that spring (right at 2-hour half mary virtual, best post THR!), until the non-operated hip decided it was time to speak up.  And I knew what it was when it happened, of course I had to get all the MRI/Xray information, but I was fairly positive what the results would be.  My surgeon didn’t sugarcoat it, he never does, and I love him for that – just tell it to me straight, don’t beat around the bush.  So labral tearing in the left hip, which in and of itself is not a huge ordeal, many people have tearing and don’t even know it, but certainly more of a tricky scenario in a dysplastic hip, and labrum repair would be off of the table because of that.  So it was a summer of swim and bike training, and I was just hoping the sucker would wait to rupture until after the cross country season was over.  I had thrown my hat back in the coaching ring the previous spring, I was super stoke about it, and I needed to be able to run with the kiddos, to recon the courses at the meets, etc.  I still ran in the fall short distances, but it was painful, and would catch, so I’d have to stop, then start again, and pretty much didn’t run farther than a few miles.  When I went back for a follow up in November, I was expecting to schedule a replacement for that hip fairly soon in the future, I had no doubt the sucker would rupture on me soon.  It’s why I pulled out of the SwimRun race in the summer, didn’t want to get to that race in November, have the hip crap out on me, and let my friend down.  My surgeon told me otherwise at my follow up.  That according to the latest films, the tearing was not any worse off than it was in July.  That we knew what the end result would eventually be, but we could not predict when it would rupture.  He went on to tell me that what happened to my right was abnormal, certainly it was substantially more dysplastic than the left, but they normally do not rupture like that (unless due to a traumatic injury of some sort).  So, in other words, who knows when it will be.  He knows that I run on the operated hip and that I had been running on the injured hip.  He just smiled at me and told me to come back in a year to see what things look like then, or if something substantial happens, then of course come back sooner.  It took me a little while to process this new information, like, how should I approach this thing?  Of course, the cautious side of me was chastising me in her sternest voice possible that bike and swim training only should be the new order of the day, to preserve the non-operated hip as long as possible.  But the gritty athlete in me, the one who has been chasing goals and smashing herself for 3+ decades was screaming at the top of her lungs “Let’s fucking gooooooo!”  So I listened to the latter me, and got back to work.  And those early “longer” runs were so painful, lots of stopping-walking-cussing-fighting myself to get through runs.  By early January at the triathlon club meeting the idea of Galveston was being kicked around, and that was that.  I had made my decision.  I refused to sit around and wait for things to happen, I’ve spent plenty of time in limbo this past decade (non-hip related, another blog post hopefully one day), forward momentum it will always be.  I refused to be afraid of what my body might not be able to do one day and instead relished in the challenge of seeing what it could do right now, and I am always in awe of how amazing the body is, how it seems to rise to the challenge again and again and again.




THE SWIM

 

So while I’d much rather be swimming around Key West, or another 5K, the swim will always be my favorite, even in the shorter distances.  Swimming was the jumping off point for everything else, where I first learned about myself as an athlete all of those decades ago.  Setting goals at just nine years old, I was driven at a young age, and am grateful for what drive and passion have taught me, what they still teach me today.  It brings me such joy watching my mini-me find her niche in sports and I hope she will continue to chase what she is passionate about later in life with the voracity that she chases it today.  I loved that her and hubs were out there cheering me on at this one, that she got to see me in the struggle and in the joy, as I chased down my goals out there.  Since the fam accompanied me, I was a little later getting to transition, but still managed to get all of that situated just fine, but I was having to haul ass to the beginning of the swim line.  Since we now can seed ourselves, I like to be right at the 30 min mark since my goal is always to be right at 30 or under.  Unfortunately, I didn’t quite make it there, was at like the 32-35 mark, but that was just fine.  I also chose to go sans wetsuit, because I hate wetsuits and if I can withstand the water temp, I’d rather go without.  Water was a beautiful 70 degrees that morning, which was perfect.  Pretty much everyone else wore wetsuits, saw a couple of guys without them, but mostly it was a sea of wetsuits around me.  When it was time to jump off of the dock I hit the water ready to move!  It was chilly upon entry, but my core heats up so quickly the water was perfection to swim in.  Fortunately, my sighting was better for this 1.2 than it was for the 5K last September (hahahaha!).  I stayed right along the buoy line for the majority of the race, veered off a couple of times, but mostly on course.  There was, however, quite a bit of contact in this swim, so lots of kicks to the ribs, being swum over, etc.  Not a crisis, I am comfortable enough in the water to be dunked, but it does really mess with your rhythm.  So I was much slower in parts than others, and pretty sure I was not going to even be right at 30 min mark.  Kept pushing hard right up to the swim exit, hopped out, watch read 32 min, which I was pumped about!  All smiles as I ran up the hill towards transition.  Hubs caught one of my favorite shots as I was coming out of the swim, lava berry and sunrise are my all-time favorite kits (lots of symbolism for me with both of them) so I was super stoked to be rocking the lava berry aero suit for the race, love it so much!!!!  Struggled with my bike shoes a bit in T1 so transition not as fast as I was hoping but tried to get out of there as quickly as I could!  On to the beautiful bike!

 

SWIM = 31:49

T1 = 6:09





BIKE

 

We were blessed with beautiful weather out there that day, four years ago when I did this race, the cold front came through and the bike was COLD!  However, no matter what the weather brings, we did know that we could count on some big winds on the bike, and this time was no exception.  Nice tailwind on the 28 miles going out, nice headwind on the 28 miles going back.  I also knew that my bike training had not been where it was four years ago when I did this race (I PRed that bike, 2:59!), that my longest ride outside had just been under 40 miles.  Combo of registering later instead of already having the race on the docket, and some other life stuff that just pops up as it often does.  So the overall bike mileage in general had not been where it should have been, although I did put quite a few bike mile deposits in the bank in the summer, so I would be pulling from that as well.  Coach Hillary had given me some specific instructions to follow on the bike and the run so that we would have a great day out there, so my plan was to stay within those parameters.  On the way out it was so much fun (as a tailwind often is, hahaha!) - I stayed controlled, didn’t push too hard, stayed on top of my nutrition, and generally just enjoyed the ride.  I was flying, and felt pretty good about myself at the turnaround, then came back to reality, lol!  I could not get off of that island fast enough!  The bridge back over to the mainland was literally THE WORST.  I watched my numbers continue to dip, and was like good lord, I’ll be lucky to make this bike in 3:30 at this rate!  I pushed hard on the way back, had to stop briefly a couple of times for a few seconds along the way just to get my head back in the game.  I figured by the time I got to the run after the bike my legs were going to be toasty toast toast, but had to make it back first.  And I was deep in that pain cave on the way back.  I’ve always been an athlete who understands that you train how you want to race, and that’s how I’ve coached my own athletes over the years.  So average bike training means serious suffering in the headwinds, but my decades of experience as an athlete also has taught me how to be mentally tough, that I could in this case “gut it out”.  It wouldn’t be pretty, my legs would be trashed, and I certainly would not be as fast as I would have liked to be, but I could, and would, get it done.  So I kept turning the legs over, clicking off the miles, and was overjoyed when I saw we were going to be making the left hand turn heading back towards Moody Gardens.  Four years ago I was sad to see this turn because I was flying on the straightaway and knew that it would slow me down.  Not sure if the winds weren’t as bad then or I was just in better bike shape – I’m guessing the latter, hahaha!  Such a reprieve to get the crosswinds, but then on the final stretch we had to turn right back into the headwinds, noooooooo!  I swear I was going like 14mph down that stretch, that’s all my legs could do at that point.  Finally hit the turn to cruise on into transition, and I was so super stoked to get off of the bike at that point.  I was hoping for a faster T2 transition but no dice.  On the bike, my aero suit started chafing me really bad (apply body glide before, rookie mistake! Argh!), so I needed to apply that pronto before heading out for the run.  I slathered myself in Aquaphor, hit the porta potty, then finally headed out for the run!  2 down, 1 to go!

 

BIKE = 3:07:09

T2 = 8:00

 


 


RUN

 

So this would be the true test.  And although I built up to about 10 miles for my long run, these runs weren’t without pain in that hip, and sometimes the hip would be so snarky I would have to pull the plug or call the run altogether.  I appreciated so much that Coach Hillary always reiterated to me after these disappointing runs that it was part of the process, to just see how the next one goes.  And sure enough, as I put more miles under my belt, I would have more relatively “pain-free” runs.  I say that in quotes, because there was usually always some pain at the start or finish, but those that didn’t force me to stop or slow down my pace were considered “pain-free”.  I was actually feeling more confident about the half-marathon as it got closer to race day.  As I headed out on that race course, even on trashed legs, I felt good!  As per discussed with coach, I didn’t even look at my pace those first few miles, I just enjoyed the energy on the course, and kept my eyes out for my people.  This course is super spectator friendly, so I was sure that I would see them multiple times throughout the run.  Beautiful weather, the best energy, hips weren’t snarky yet – I was feeling all kinds of grateful to be out there running on that course when just a few months prior there wasn’t a running goal in sight.  So this course is 3 loops through the Moody Gardens Park, as I headed through the first loop, I was surprised that I hadn’t seen the fam yet.  They had plenty of time to get back after the swim, and this course was super easy to post up at a place and see your people all day long.  As I continued along loop 2, this uneasy feeling crept in, and if any of you ever have any kind of anxiety, you probably already can guess what is coming.  If you know you know – and I did not know most of my life what that kind of anxiety looked like until the past decade or so.  I had just passed mile 5, was clicking along just fine, but was so anxious that I hadn’t seen my family yet.  Of course they were there.  They had been there.  Hubs had so many pictures just from the run course.  But in that moment I did not know that, and was overwhelmed by that anxiety feeling.  I ran up on aid station #2 and just lost it.  I melted down right there sobbing that I couldn’t find my family, and could I borrow a phone so that I could call them?  And can I just tell you, the volunteers at these races are literally THE BEST.  Like hands down, would give their shirts off their backs, would run that last mile for you if they could.  The one in transition in 2018 took off my bike shoes and put on my run shoes since I lost all feeling in my fingers on that cold bike ride.  A godsend.  I cannot put into words what these strangers meant to me in that moment, these ladies immediately grabbed their phones and kept saying “we got you”.  One couldn’t get hers to turn on since it got too hot, the other got hers working and I accidentally gave them my own number first (whoops!) then finally gave them hubs number.  He picked up after the second ring, and later said he almost didn’t pick up but then seeing it was a Houston number thought it might be medical so he answered.  Me sobbing into the phone probably didn’t help things but once I asked where they were and I couldn’t find them, he immediately knew what was up.  And was like we just saw you, and got so many pictures! I could hear munchkin in the back ground yell we just saw you mom! I laughed through my tears and told them I loved them.  Then handed the phone back to the volunteers and thanked them so much.  Literally, THE BEST.  As I headed away from the aid station I refused to berate myself for the next 8 miles, and instead gave myself grace in that moment.  Found my rhythm again, and not long after ran into my friend Dawn, whom at the triathlon club meeting in January we had been the ones to be like “Are you doing Galveston? I don’t know, are you? Let’s do it!”  I shared my meltdown story with her, we talked about the gnarly bike, and how grateful we were for the beautiful weather! She headed on out in front, and I got back into my groove, and saw the fam as I headed back around the second loop.  I was on the other side so I had planned to stop briefly for hugs as I went back around again on the third loop.  Honestly, looking back I wasn’t surprised that I didn’t see them, and I shouldn’t have been.  On a race run I can get into a flow state where I can block most things out, like even if I scan the crowd, my brain doesn’t actually register anything.  I can achieve that state in a pool in a challenging set, but harder to do out where you have to be more aware, like an open water swim, or a bike ride, or even just a training run.  Even on the bike in a race, we are still out with traffic, so it’s a necessity to still keep your wits about you.  But on the closed run course where we were running the same 3 loops on mostly a closed course I could get into that deep flow state just focusing on pushing myself and nothing else.  Except for that tiny off-road section in the sand and rocks, then I needed to make sure I wasn’t going to roll an ankle, lol!  So I was staring down loop three, still feeling great even on the trashed legs, even after post meltdown.  Actually stopped to give hugs and kisses and high fives to the fam on this loop.  Then it was time to finish it.  3 more miles, I got this.  In previous half ironmans I’ve always gone out pretty fast, and struggle to hang on until the end – the exception was Longhorn 2012 where I descended each of the 3 loops and that one is still my fastest run off of the bike in 2:03.  But this run was just as well executed, and those last 2 miles I was able to push pretty hard, and pass people along the way.  It’s usually the other way around, people are passing me.  My last mile was my second fastest mile in my half marathon that day, I felt like I was flying!  I felt so strong out there, and as I ran hard into the finish, I felt nothing but gratitude for finishing #9!  Not a PR but to be within 10 minutes of my PR (that I got on this course 4 years ago!) I was ecstatic!  The fam was right there, and munchkin of course was fascinated by the medal, and got a few of her own at her gymnastics competition not too long ago.  She said she was so proud of me, and I couldn’t have kept the tears from flowing if I tried.  She asked if I was excited about the medal, and I said that the medal itself is fun, but what it represents means even more.  She doesn’t quite get that yet, lol, to her it’s a pretty medal!  But one day, I hope that she understands that it’s always about the journey.  The process.  What you learn along the way.  I hope I always make her proud.  She inspires me always.  As do all my kiddos.  It’s hard to put into words how much they have impacted me over the years, those I have taught/coached.  Many of them are grown up now, with families of their own, out there kicking ass and taking names out in this world.  I am a better human being because of them.  It is this journey as a whole that will mold us into who we are meant to be if we let it.  Lean into it all.

 

RUN = 2:13:10

TOTAL = 6:06:15





 


No comments:

Post a Comment